Finally getting some use of my left hand.

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

MotownDangerPants
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2011, 3:48 pm

I grew up fitting the NVLD prfofile VERY well. I didn't even know about NVLD until last year, but I had all of the traits and a very weak left side, which is also mentioned.

It was so bad that I had to learn to type incredibly fast with only my right hand to pass those timed typing tests you get in middle school. I absolutely could not use the home keys or both hands to type.

I'm not really ambidextrous now, but my left hand randomly started to play a role in my life last year, lol. First, it just started *working* while I was doing random tasks, like cleaning, so that it was less awkward and didn't take me as long. Now I can use home keys and type with both hands. I can *almost* write with my left hand legibly.

Anyone else gain some use of the left hand at a later age? I'm 26 now. I wonder if this means that my brain is *waking* up a little. I do feel a bit less spatially limited than I used to.

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2011, 4:13 pm

MotownDangerPants wrote:
I grew up fitting the NVLD prfofile VERY well. I didn't even know about NVLD until last year, but I had all of the traits and a very weak left side, which is also mentioned.

It was so bad that I had to learn to type incredibly fast with only my right hand to pass those timed typing tests you get in middle school. I absolutely could not use the home keys or both hands to type.

I'm not really ambidextrous now, but my left hand randomly started to play a role in my life last year, lol. First, it just started *working* while I was doing random tasks, like cleaning, so that it was less awkward and didn't take me as long. Now I can use home keys and type with both hands. I can *almost* write with my left hand legibly.

Anyone else gain some use of the left hand at a later age? I'm 26 now. I wonder if this means that my brain is *waking* up a little. I do feel a bit less spatially limited than I used to.

---

Recall reading a paperback book titled the How To (understand) Hyperactivity book (1981) about ADHD Inattentive / central auditory processing disorder by C. Thomas Wild. Wild reported a dramatic, temporary improvement in the ability to play the piano accurately with both hands due to taking a FDA approved medicine called Tirend (contains caffeine - 100 mg - 14 other ingredients)(not a cure). Some persons can sense they are naturally right or left handers and that can play a role in a lot of areas including using a jump rope, playing a snare drum using two drum sticks, learning to play a guitar, accordian, or piano. Do some persons who find they can use a weak hand better later in life also report they feel a bit less spatially limited? Yes. Again, the above How To book is the only one I've found which directly addresses the idea of gross and fine motor control involving both hands.