Hatred is a chemical issue but no one will admit it

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

IgA
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Aug 2012, 8:42 pm

I've been on both the receiving end and the feeling end of hatred. I know how it hurts to be hated for something I have very little control over (no control at all when I was younger and uneducated about Asp).I also know how it feels to really be 'in hate' with someone or really everyone at certain times. I say certain times because I don't always feel the hate. As intense as I can feel it sometimes, in those moments/days I do feel it, it seems as if the intensity is so strong that it shall never go away. However, it does eventually give way to indifference or even pity.

With these experiences evaluating my feelings, I've concluded that hatred (along with all other emotions) are chemically based rather than cognitive reasoning (of which I very much prefer). That statement is a bit off, I know. I had a hard time wording it as a proper conclusive statement that is wholly true from the perspective of the audience. I understand feelings to be based in chemicals -- as most everyone else understands this. However, forming conclusions and acting on emotion is what the NT's are known for -- it is what 'normal people' do. They feel something and then act accordingly. This is how they 'tick', where I tend to 'tock' and act based on understanding rather than feeling.

When I said "rather than cognitive reasoning", I was trying to convey that when I feel hatred I think about those times when other people have hated me. I have this weird feeling as if I am being shown some insight into their perspecitve. I don't quite know what to do with this information though -- other than to know what it feels like to hate. Knowledge is power, and knowing how it feels cognitively (rather than just the experience of the feeling itself) it changes how I think and act. I can now help people even if I have temporary hate for them. I can set aside that emotion much better than I used to -- although, I have done it in the past much better than NT's can. They don't seem to understand this idea I am trying to type here. Perhaps I am explaining it wrong.

If there is anyone out there who can help me put this idea into a more understandable way I'd really appreciate your input. I think it is important to understand that human feelings are not the end-all be-all. Feelings are chemically induced and should not be trusted without analysing them first. Just because you hate someone or a group of people (or even everyone in a particular moment) doesn't mean those feelings are correct, nor does it mean the feeling should be acted upon.

Hate is very powerful and can make a person do crazy or negative things. I almost didn't help someone I knew was on the verge of dropping out of college because of a simple math problem she couldn't figure out. She had always been so nasty to me and never said a kind word to me ever. I saw her throw her paper and book across the study room one day and she yelled she was just going to drop out because she'd never understand it. I was a bit happy and wanted her to drop out because then I wouldn't have to deal with her mean looks and comments anymore.

Then I thought, no, if I refused to offer my help I'd be guilty of being hateful just like her. Maybe she can't help her feelings towards me. She doesn't even really know me. Maybe she hates all strangers that don't enjoy chit-chat. I admit I don't know her all that well except for the few classes we had together (I assume we must have the same or similar major).

I finally decided to just walk over there and offer my help. If she refused my offer than I'd walk away knowing I didn't stoop to her level. She was so desperate (and really didn't want to drop out) that she accepted my help. We never became friends, but the mean looks and comments did stop. I don't know if her hatred of me ended or maybe she just decided to stop openly expressing it.

Chemically, I wonder if I altered the release of whatever it is that causes people to hate others by helping her? Is this possible? This same kind of thing occurs with bigots. Education of their feelings and where it comes from goes a long way to 'cure' the hate in some way. Can this be applied to the LGBT community and the religious community? Education is important, but first we need the real facts and not the BS PR about 'tolerance' and other such nonsense.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2012, 10:26 pm

knowledge of facts and logical thoughts are also chemically based.

so_subtly_strange
Toucan
Toucan

22 Aug 2012, 2:41 am

i echo and expound upon cathylynn's input. everything that happens in our brains is chemical and electrical. Hate could/ is definitely influenced by chemical stimulus. However i think the nature of it has more to do with learned electrical pathways, so i dont think there is a simple chemical solution. But as with anything chemicals can nudge things in certain directions, the is what the hippies are up to presumably . . . . Your thoughts our interesting, however i apologize it seems you are asking something, and yet i am not sure what sort of response you are asking for, what am i to reply to particularly?
The main thing i feel i am inspired (i dont feel inspired is exactly the word i mean but it is the closest that comes to mind) to put forth, is that a distinction should also be noted between anger and hate. I feel angry at things certain people do relatively often, however hate is much rarer, and probably what i know as hate is nothing compared to other peoples version of it, as i dont feel i have been so wronged by anyone to need to invest so much energy into hating them. The main difference i think there is is that in anger at a problem you may be driven to discover and execute its solution, whereas 'hate' in its most classical sense seems to be something that is endless and without necessarily a drive to a certain end, but with a continual fervor to destroy that which is hated . . . which destruction i suppose could be a solution, were it reasonably justifiable, so maybe hate and anger are similar things manifested in different magnitudes

IgA
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Aug 2012, 8:35 pm

Sorry about the question being smack in the middle. Here it is:

If there is anyone out there who can help me put this idea into a more understandable way I'd really appreciate your input.

I'm not very good with words. Mechanical things interest me more. The reason I posted was because I can't get this idea about hate out of my mind and needed someone to help me sort it out. My bridges are a bit burnt when it comes to discussing anything in person, because I'm so horrible at conveying ideas verbally. No one is willing (or has the patience) with me much anymore. I'm not much better digitally either, but thought I'd ask a more understanding group of people.

Temporary feelings of hatred (not anger) toward others for no good reason is the topic. Educating others about this issue is part of the question. How can I convey that this 'hatred' feeling shouldn't be trusted within your mind?

I can see how that feeling can become obsessive (thus, how this post was born). I do have an advantage in that my thinking/rational self (even if it is chemically based) is very separate from my emotional recognition self. My rational self can sit in judgement of my emotional self, which prevents me from acting on emotions. My actions are usually based on understanding. I can get emotional if I have poor understanding. This is because I seek to understand -- this is my main motivation in life. I just want to understand whatever it is my mind is focused on.

I perceive a taste of understanding in my head about this, but the heart of the matter is just out of reach.

So the question isn't burried again --> If there is anyone who can help me put this idea into a more understandable way I'd really appreciate your input. How can I convey that this 'hatred' feeling shouldn't be trusted within your mind? How can I make others aware that 'hate triggers' are a symptom of something separate having very little to do with the subjects they are focused on hating?