There are two ways to argue with people.

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jazzguy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

User avatar

Joined: 21 Oct 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 83

02 Nov 2007, 11:47 pm

Neither one works.


_________________
"I'll stay for a day or as long as you say but I really must be going." Groucho Marx


Yog-Sothoth
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Oct 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 873

03 Nov 2007, 12:45 am

You know, I heard one time from this NT guy how NTs argue, he said there is more than just right and wrong to them, I still don't know what it is though. As far as I'm concerned, when I argue, all I care about is proving I am right, I don't give a hot damn about "feelings" and s**t.



Eire
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 1 Oct 2007
Age: 33
Gender: Female
Posts: 465
Location: California

03 Nov 2007, 2:25 am

What are the two ways?



jazzguy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

User avatar

Joined: 21 Oct 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 83

03 Nov 2007, 2:30 am

Eire wrote:
What are the two ways?


Yeah well, it's a joke, you know. "Neither one works." Get it? In other words...well. But it's a fair question.


_________________
"I'll stay for a day or as long as you say but I really must be going." Groucho Marx


Aysmptotes
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 10 May 2007
Age: 33
Gender: Female
Posts: 227

03 Nov 2007, 4:18 am

That's funny. Me and my boyfriend "argue" all the time. Haha. Mostly debating on facts and when it gets "heated" it all just turns into a big funny joke. People who over hear us always laugh.



Sorenzo
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2007
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 67
Location: Holstebro, Denmark

03 Nov 2007, 9:21 pm

Actually, being quite an expert arguer myself from years and years of observation and practice...

There are two kinds of arguing. One is rational arguing, another is irrational arguing.

Arguments differ from discussions in that they are not usually planned or have a specific purpose (they might start spontaneously or through an interpersonal understanding and not have a specific topic or purpose, whereas discussions are often used to define, spread, and add to the opinions of wilfull participants).

Irrational arguing is any argument that uses false arguments, manipulation, mind games, or tricks. It rarely has the truth as a goal, and the arguing parties will not show if they realize they are mistaken and will counterattack if accused of misleading the opponent. This often causes physical or emotional aggressiveness.

Rational arguing is an argument that is partaken in or guided by one or more people who wish for the argument to be rational. In a rational argument, false arguments are ignored and manipulation is not allowed. The purpose of the argument is to find the truth of whatever matter the topic is. If either party realizes a mistake, they will accept that and argue on another point or use a better argument.

The reason irrational arguing finds place is because people are irrational until taught not to be. And in some cases, because it's more fun.



Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 29 Dec 2005
Age: 54
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,013
Location: Pa.

03 Nov 2007, 10:17 pm

Honestly, I've always thought arguing was a total waste of time.


_________________
*Normal* is just a setting on the dryer.


richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

User avatar

Joined: 30 Oct 2006
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,553
Location: Leave only a footprint behind

03 Nov 2007, 10:22 pm

im sooo done arguing with people. i simply leave my comment and walk away. i did this because i found out that it was bothering me in real life whatever we were arguing about and was totally f-ing up my day. i think im a much happier person but i dont know


_________________
Winds of clarity. a universal understanding come and go, I've seen though the Darkness to understand the bounty of Light


Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 29 Dec 2005
Age: 54
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,013
Location: Pa.

03 Nov 2007, 11:12 pm

richardbenson wrote:
im sooo done arguing with people. i simply leave my comment and walk away. i did this because i found out that it was bothering me in real life whatever we were arguing about and was totally f-ing up my day. i think im a much happier person but i dont know


It takes a toll, physically as well as mentally if you're not careful. Toxic crap.

My ex almost seemed to love to argue...his whole family to some extent..always screaming at one another. I never realized how much it drained me on a daily basis until I didn't have to deal with it anymore.


_________________
*Normal* is just a setting on the dryer.


richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

User avatar

Joined: 30 Oct 2006
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,553
Location: Leave only a footprint behind

03 Nov 2007, 11:15 pm

my whole family likes arguing. (my mom jokingly sais we are greek) but we are not. there all retards and i will be happy when i get to move as far away from thier retarded asses as possible


_________________
Winds of clarity. a universal understanding come and go, I've seen though the Darkness to understand the bounty of Light


Mw99
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Sep 2007
Age: 121
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,088

03 Nov 2007, 11:20 pm

Yog-Sothoth wrote:
As far as I'm concerned, when I argue, all I care about is proving I am right, I don't give a hot damn about "feelings" and sh**.


But if you are actually wrong, would you still try to prove that you are right even when you aren't?



jazzguy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

User avatar

Joined: 21 Oct 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 83

03 Nov 2007, 11:36 pm

Is there anything worth arguing about?


_________________
"I'll stay for a day or as long as you say but I really must be going." Groucho Marx


Yog-Sothoth
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Oct 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 873

03 Nov 2007, 11:38 pm

Mw99 wrote:
Yog-Sothoth wrote:
As far as I'm concerned, when I argue, all I care about is proving I am right, I don't give a hot damn about "feelings" and sh**.


But if you are actually wrong, would you still try to prove that you are right even when you aren't?

If it is proven that my facts are incorrect, I will admit my mistakes, but thats usually why I check my facts first.



fivecents
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 22 Jul 2007
Age: 54
Gender: Female
Posts: 362
Location: NJ

04 Nov 2007, 10:44 pm

jazzguy wrote:
Is there anything worth arguing about?


I never argue with my AS bf. I just let him have his way. No problem here, he needs his way, I am flexible. There really is nothing in the world worth arguing about, as long as he is happy. I am always happy, so anything that makes him feel good is good with me. He is always right…



Maxx
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 30 Aug 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 244
Location: Syracuse, NY

05 Nov 2007, 12:17 am

I love to rationally argue. When nothing is at stake, and neither me nor the one I am argueing with have anything against the other...under those conditions I like argueing. Arguements like those tend to make me think, and help me formulate my own true opinions. This type of arguement is preferable.

The types of arguements that are not often helpful whatsoever are the irrational ones. When I argue with my brother, he argues simply to win the arguement. His arguements are so irrational, in fact, that I am stopped in my tracks. I am completely stunned by his total lack of rationality, thus, he ends up winning the arguement because I have no response. Crazy.


_________________
What if there were no hypothetical situations?


Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jul 2007
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,799

05 Nov 2007, 12:20 am

Sorenzo wrote:
Actually, being quite an expert arguer myself from years and years of observation and practice...

There are two kinds of arguing. One is rational arguing, another is irrational arguing.

Arguments differ from discussions in that they are not usually planned or have a specific purpose (they might start spontaneously or through an interpersonal understanding and not have a specific topic or purpose, whereas discussions are often used to define, spread, and add to the opinions of wilfull participants).

Irrational arguing is any argument that uses false arguments, manipulation, mind games, or tricks. It rarely has the truth as a goal, and the arguing parties will not show if they realize they are mistaken and will counterattack if accused of misleading the opponent. This often causes physical or emotional aggressiveness.

Rational arguing is an argument that is partaken in or guided by one or more people who wish for the argument to be rational. In a rational argument, false arguments are ignored and manipulation is not allowed. The purpose of the argument is to find the truth of whatever matter the topic is. If either party realizes a mistake, they will accept that and argue on another point or use a better argument.

The reason irrational arguing finds place is because people are irrational until taught not to be. And in some cases, because it's more fun.


You just had to argue you his point to prove him wrong didn't you :wink: